The Ursuline Monastery and Church – the structure was raised in 1474 and until the year 1543 was a Dominican monastery. It was in this year that with the chance offered by the Religious Reformation which determined much of the Saxon population to convert to the Lutheran religion the edifice went into the possession of the Lutherans.
In 1775 the monastery, known by the name of Kloster Kirche, was taken over by the nuns of the Ursuline Order.
The interior, initially decorated in Gothic fashion, was transformed by the nuns in Baroque fashion.
The building was nationalized in 1948, and since 1992 the Greek-Catholic church has its ceremonies here.
Among the many original Gothic elements on the outside of the church the most important are the main gate, the windows and pillars.
Three recently made altars are inside the church. An oil painting representing the crown of the Holy Virgin is located on the main altar, and on the left altar is an oil painting showing the appearance of the Saint Ursula in front of Saint Angela Merici, the founder of the Ursuline Order.
Above is the picture of Saint Emeric, and on the right altar, which is at the same distance to the main altar as the left one is, is a painting showing Saint Angela Teaching the Children.
On both sides of the nave are statues of saints which were most appreciated by the nuns. The inscription above the triumphal arch reminds of the Empress Maria Teresa, the benefactress of the church.
The Ursuline Church