The Council Tower, it is a landmark of Sibiu, and was officially recorded for the first time in 1370, as being linked to the building where the ’city council’ would gather. It is this that led to its name.
The tower was once part of the second fortification precinct. In its initial shape, it didn’t surpass a four storey building. It collapses during an earthquake in 1586, killing painter Johann David, who was working on the decoration of the tower’s arch.
The tower was rebuilt in 1588 and the actual ground floor and the first floor date back to that period.