The city of Sibiu is the capital of Sibiu County and is located in Transylvania, in the central part of Romania.
The city's origins date back to Roman times, when the establishment was a roman colony, named Cibinium.
In the 12 th century, the Saxons (germans from Nürnberg), founded Sibiu as the center of their community in Transylvania. Among the major historic attractions of the city are: a 14th-century Gothic church containing a museum and a library of more than 100,000 books, the fortify walls and towers of the old city, beautiful cathedrals and palaces, museums, and many old medieval buildings.
In German the city is also known under the name of Hermannstadt, because it was founded by Germans and many Germans live here today.
In 1940 Sibiu was ceded to Hungary among with the Northern Transylvania territory, and was restored to Romania after the World War II in 1945.
Sibiu has a population about 170.365 inhabitants (estimated 2002).
The town is split into a historic centre with many fine old churches , as well as the remains of the original Saxon Bastions and city walls that formed the town's fortifications and a lower new town with new modern buildings.